When thinking about where electrical hazards are commonly found, your first thought likely isn’t your workstation. However, electrical equipment used in workplace can be hazardous and result in serious injuries if not properly maintained. Each year workers die from contacting electric current.
Although the law does not require consistent electrical testing and inspections in the workplace, it does require workplace electrical equipment to be maintained to ensure safety at all times.
Here under are the common electrical hazards which cause serious risk.
During the last few years, over 50,000 workers have been injured as a result of electrical hazards in the workplace. Electrical tools or appliances that change mistakes can lead to serious fire risk or even death. We have provided a list of precautions to take and recommends following tips to help prevent exposure to workplace electrical hazards:
Broken connections and misuse of tools can increase chances of an unsafe working environment, so we present some basic electrical safety tips below:
Always check outlets, heat is often a sign of an unsafe wiring condition. Do not plug multi-outlet bars to other multi-outlet bars. Use proper circuit breakers because overloaded circuits can cause fires.
Always check cords & extensions, do not plug two extension cords together; cords with exposed wiring should not be used. You should regularly check your cords for cuts or breaks and avoid putting pressure on the wiring connection.
Ensure that all cords are away from heat, heat, oil and sharp edges.
Always check if there are any loose fitting plugs or covers. Make sure that plug and cord power tools are designed to fit the outlets in use. Ensure that circuits are not overloaded by plugging one extension cord into another and do not force plugs into outlets. Appliances with grounded plugs should be connected to grounded outlets only.
Always ensure that the correct wattage of light bulb is in use to prevent lighting breakdowns.
Inspect wattage regularly, and report any defects immediately.
Never use electrical equipment when your hands or the equipment is wet
If an item feels hot, makes an unusual noise (buzz), smokes or sparks, take it out of service immediately and tag it “Do Not Use”
Do not use electrical equipment or appliances near water or wet surfaces.
Take faulty equipment out of use immediately, do not plug adaptors into other adaptors as this can cause serious electrical shocks.
Label faulty equipment as ‘DO NOT USE’
If you’re in need of our help, Schedule a call with one of our safety experts today and take the first step towards making your workplace safer.